아시아가톨릭뉴스(양업고)

작성자 : 김영욱 | 조회수 : 4,846 | 작성일 : 2008년 5월 19일

< 아시아가톨릭뉴스(Union of Catholic Asian News) 양업고등학교 >

KO04854.1494 April 24, 2008 60 EM-lines (649 words)

KOREA Catholic Alternative School Transforms Lives Of Dropout Students
CHEONGWON, Korea (UCAN) -- Augustine Lee Jung-woo used to fight with other students and could not remain long in one school.

During his middle-school years, grades 7-9, disciplinary issues twice caused his transfer to different schools. When he entered high school, he again could not adapt to school life and dropped out before finishing grade 10.

At that point his parents brought him to Cheongju Catholic dioceses Yangeob High School, which follows an alternative educational model.

"My first impression of the school was of the unhindered relationship between teachers and students. The schools natural environment also attracted me, so I decided to enter the school the following year," Lee, now 18, told UCA News on April 18.

The Catholic youth explained that the school makes its students set their own rules, such as no smoking and no alcohol in the school compound, and makes them decide their own future. "The school recognizes me for what I am, not a target for correction. I learned to be responsible for my own behavior in a free environment," he said.

Now Lee aspires to be a lawyer. Nonetheless he is aware that "people have a prejudice that alternative-school students are behind in scholastic achievement." This, he asserted, "is not true -- we can do as well as they can on entering university."

On April 18, the only Catholic alternative school in South Korea celebrated its 10th anniversary at its campus in Cheongwon, about 120 kilometers southeast of Seoul.

Bishop Gabriel Chang Bong-hun of Cheongju presided at the anniversary Mass and delivered the homily. About 20 diocesan priests concelebrated including Father Peter Yoon Byung-hoon, the schools founding principal.

"It is extremely hard to change peoples mind and viewpoint. However, the 210 graduates over the past 10 years changed their minds and began a new life in the school. It is the work of love of Almighty God," Bishop Chang said.

"Through the efforts and sacrifices of teachers and staff," he continued, "Yangeob High School has become one of the acknowledged alternative schools, recognized by the government in spite of its short history."

The school, which opened on March 28, 1998, takes its name from Koreas second native priest, Father Thomas Choe Yang-eop. It offers human formation based on Catholic teachings and currently enrolls 109 students, all of whom stay at dormitories during weekdays and with family on weekends.

Of about 200 applications it receives every year, the school admits 40 students.

Anthony Hong Ki-soo, whose son graduated from the school in February, credits it with working a "miracle" in his family. After his son enrolled, Hong took the schools Parent Effectiveness Training, during which he realized his own hot temper was the cause of discord in their family.

"I tried to find my defects and correct them. Now my family has become harmonious. Its a miracle and I am a big fan of the school," he told UCA News.

Teresa Heo You-jin, a 17-year-old student, told UCA News: "Im quite satisfied with my school and friends here. With the small number of students, we are all close friends and teachers treat us like family."

Father Yoon explained the rationale of his school. "We usually call school dropouts and people who have trouble adapting themselves in ordinary schools troublemakers. They are not really troublemakers, just immature youths facing natural problems in growing up," the principal told UCA News.

"Through harnessing the youths own self-control, we aim to lead them to live responsible lives and dream for a future. We need to take more care of dropout students. We should not abandon them to live without hope or dreams," he said.

According to the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, 27,930 students dropp